On or about 2-17-2010 we contracted with Wheeler Construction, Inc. (Inverness, FL) to build a 26X26 fully insulated garage. The garage was finished on or about 3-17-2011. The contract price was $24,930.00 which we paid with a bank draft. The garage was completed to our complete satisfaction, very nice workmanship (this was somewhat an extravagant "garage"). During the first summer the aluminum metal edge on the South gable end wrinkled and kinked pulling away from the fascia. This was the first and (still is) the only complaint on the garage build.

My first call to John Wheeler occurred 11-29-2011 relative to the South gable metal edge. (garage about eight months old). This did not generate the promised return call. I called again, and an individual by the name of Burt (?) came out and inspected the metal edge issue. It was quite cold when he arrived, so the warped metal edge had retracted somewhat, the expansion not having been exacerbated by the sun. I again called 12-28-2011, and again 1-9-2012. Mr Wheeler has never returned any of my calls in spite of the receptionist indicating he'd do so.

I have another contractor working on my property that offered to replace the aluminum with matching brown galvalume steel. In a letter dated 1-23-2012 I advised Mr. Wheeler of the prospect of the other contractor doing the necessary replacement for a quite reasonable $325.00. That amounts to less than .015% of the price of the garage. This letter, as did my phone calls, generated no response. After the superb job on the initial build, I'm surprised and somewhat exasperated at the inaction of John Wheeler and Wheeler Construction. I previously had forwarded pictures of the affected metal edge displaying the waves and kink in the aluminum edge.

Had an Experience with Wheeler Construction?

Comments

Don't hold your breath.Wheeler Constuction of Inverness apparently has few, if any, work crew(s of his own, in his employ.

Virtually everything is sublet to whoever he can find to complete a job, usually several sub-contractors. They, of course, don't have their "name on the job", and will dance to the tune of John Wheeler with no interaction with the homeowner. John Wheeler is a smooth talker and usually does an acceptable job. That said, DO NOT MAKE FINAL PAYMENT UNTILL IT'S EVIDENT THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS.

His "warranty" is meaningless once any problem comes up, no matter how small.Wheeler construction is primarily engaged in construction of 'high end' homes when the current economy affords the rare opportunity.